With more than 25 years of business experience, including an assignment in London, Carlos has held positions with insurers, reinsurers and consulting companies, including that of Chief Actuary and Vice President of a Fortune 500 Company.
In 2008, Carlos co-founded Axiom, taking full control in 2011. Carlos, on behalf of Axiom, has entered into cooperating agreements with experienced consultants, many of them with C-level backgrounds. The association with Windsor Strategy Partners (WSP) is noteworthy. Not only is WPS staffed by recognized authorities in the actuarial field, but through its subsidiary, Windsor Strategy Solutions, it has developed a suite of software models for pricing, analysis and design of healthcare plans that are unmatched in the industry (https://www.wspactuaries.com/).
Axiom formed an association, unique in the actuarial field (described in a separate section of the website), with Nyhart, one of the nation’s leading independent actuarial and employee consulting firms.
The enlarged team of highly skilled and accomplished professionals can tackle projects in areas such as healthcare, pension, employee benefits, modeling, strategy and more. And they have.
Carlos holds an MBA from the Yale School of Management, a Master’s Degree in Mathematics from UCLA, and a Bachelor’s Degree in Physics from the National University of Mexico. He is Fellow of the Society of Actuaries, Fellow of the Conference of Consulting Actuaries and Member of the American Academy of Actuaries. He has completed executive education courses at the Tuck School of Business.
The consulting team is nimble. It has the ability to tackle projects that range from small to large, always under the direction of a recognized expert in the field.
- A Rigged Game? Human Nature and the US Healthcare System, Contingencies, Jul/Aug 2017
An analysis of the strategic interactions of those who participate in the US health care system, the root causes of the problem, and conclusions about plausible mid- and long-term outcomes.
- Classical Thinking and Game Theory, Part 1, Innovators & Entrepreneurs, July 2017
The first installment in a series of four articles that illustrate the “soft” approach of game theory using Thucydides’ master work, “The History of the Peloponnesian War,” and then applies it to analyze the strategic interactions of those who participate in the US health care system.
- Interview to Carlos Fuentes, Innovators & Entrepreneurs, Jan 2017
In this interview, Carlos Fuentes shares highlights of his career in large companies and on his own. He also talks about his experience working overseas and his journey as an entrepreneur.
- Winning or Losing the Game?, Contingencies, Jul/Aug 2016
A study of the dynamics of provider-payer healthcare systems and their impact on the cost of healthcare using game theory.
- The Futures of the US Healthcare System, Contingencies, Mar/Apr 2016
An analysis of the potential long-term future of the healthcare system using scenario analysis.
- Strategy, A Historical Overview, The Independent Consultant, Nov 2015
A paper that contrasts strategy with easy-to-follow recipes than don’t produce results.
- The Connection Between Military and Strategic Strategies, Contingencies, May/Jun 2015
A historical account of the evolution of business strategy, tracing its origins to military strategy.
- A Lesson From the Greeks, Contingencies, Nov/Dec 2014
A study of the fundamental strategic ideas that were stated lucidly and forcefully over 2,500 years ago (and they are as relevant today as they were then) by Thucydides, arguably the greatest historian of all times.
- Biz-Write, Biz-Speak, The Independent Consultant, Aug 2014
A paper that makes a case for effective communication.
- Modeling Obesity (co-authored with Dr Dennis Gottfried), Contingencies Nov/Dec 2012
A system dynamics model that describes the long-term evolution of the obese populations, its costs to society and its impact on the individual quality of life.
- System Dynamics: Building a Better Model, Contingencies Sep/Oct 2011
A description of this powerful modeling tool, often used by leading companies and strategic consulting companies in several industries, but conspicuously absent in the health care space.
- The Financial Game, Contingencies, Mar/Apr 2011
A description of financial and accounting concepts to help executives and board members understand key aspects of financial reports.
- In Defense of Machiavelli, Contingencies, Nov/Dec 2009
Lessons on leadership from one of the greatest political scientists whose ideas remain controversial after 500 years.
- Pricing the Priceless Contingencies Sept/Oct 2009
An explanation of how Quality Adjusted Life Years can be used in the health care public policy space.
- On Business Strategy, The Actuary, Dec 2007/ Jan 2008
A description of the fundamental ideas of strategy broadly applied to the business sector.
- The Strategic Role of the Ownership Structure of Insurance Companies, Revista Actuari@, Sep 2008
Strategic advantages and disadvantages of mutual and stock insurance companies explained with the use of a macro-economic model.